GSAC SAAC Meeting Follow-up, Spring 2013
SAAC Members from Agnes Scott, Finlandia, Huntingdon, Pine Manor and Salem met on Friday, Aug. 26, during the GSAC tournament to review the past year and plan for the future of GSAC SAAC.
GSAC SAAC Officers
- Natasha Kopystynsky, Pine Manor, was voted President for the 2013-14 term.
- Alyson Herman, Finlandia, was voted Secretary for the 2013-14 term.
- MacKenzie Schmidt, Salem, will remain Vice-President for the 2013-14 term.
- Talya DiGirolamo, Agnes Scott, will remain Chair for the Fall 2013 term.
- Will need to vote for a Treasurer by September 2013.
- Treasurer will research and support college SAAC groups in raising funds. Will research examples from other college SAAC groups.
- Tuesday, October 8, 2013 @ 12:30pm
- Tuesday, February 11, 2013 @ 12:30pm
- During Fall GSAC Tournament, Nov. 8-10 (possibly Thursday evening, 11/7)
- Fall sport SAAC members to attend from each college
- During Spring GSAC Tournament, Apr. 25-27 (possibly Thursday evening, 4/24)
- Spring sport SAAC members to attend from each college
- Send volunteer hours to Talya DiGirolamo (email@example.com)
- If you’ve collected fundraising for Special Olympics, please donate them to your local Special Olympics chapter. Please notify Talya DiGirolamo the details of how much you donated and to what specific chapter.
- Most of the meeting focused on promoting involvement within SAAC membership. Each college SAAC group seems to be dealing with a lack of involvement.
- Discussed various Division III Week events held at the colleges and other athletic, SAAC sponsored events at the colleges.
- GSAC SAAC will put more effort into providing feedback on proposed NCAA legislation (usually disbursed for review in Fall and voted on in January)
GSAC Softball & Tennis Tournament (4/26-28)
Salem College is hosting both the GSAC tennis and softball tournaments this weekend, April 26-28. The athletic banquet is scheduled for Friday evening, 4/26, at 7:30pm, with location of Village Inn, Crystal Ballroom (6205 Ramada Dr, Clemmons, NC 27012). The GSAC SAAC spring meeting will be held from 6:15-7:15pm at Village Inn, exact room is TBD. Working on details of the meeting at this time.
Division III Week Approaching
The second Division III Week will be April 8-14, 2013. It will again be an opportunity to shine a spotlight on the well-rounded collegiate experience enjoyed by your student-athletes. If you haven’t already, start planning events for this week! During the last conference call, it was suggested that DIII week events focus on the following:
1. Student-Athlete Appreciation
2. Community Service
3. Day of Fun for Athletes to Unwind
4. Appreciate all who Support Athletics
Update on GSAC SAAC Conference Call (as of 12pm, 2/14/13)
Conference Call was postponed from 2/11 and will occur at 12:30pm EST on 2/18. Call-in details and an agenda will be emailed out by noon on Friday, 12/15). If you have questions email Talya DiGirolamo at firstname.lastname@example.org.
GSAC SAAC at GSAC Tournament – Partnering with Special Olympics Georgia [11/3/2012]
The Great South Athletic Conference (GSAC) tournaments for both Volleyball and Soccer were held at Agnes Scott College (ASC)on Nov. 2-4. SAAC held a tailgate next to the soccer field all day long, grilling burgers, veggies burgers and hotdogs as playing beanbag toss and horseshoes. It was a great day to be outside and enjoying some awesome college sports competition. Salem College took the volleyball championship and Agnes Scott College took the soccer championship.
As part of the Division III Special Olympics Intitiative, GSAC SAAC partnered with Special Olympics Georgia (SOGA), inviting “Just People” athletes to be part of both the volleyball and soccer festivities.